Your Questions about Red Tide's attack on Pinellas County answered (Tampa Bay Times)
SEPT. 21st RED TIDE REPORT (pdf)
SEPT. 20th RED TIDE REPORT (pdf)
SEPT. 19th RED TIDE REPORT (pdf)
SEPT. 18th RED TIDE REPORT (pdf)
If you want to volunteer your time to help clean up, click HERE.
A list of dumpsters for dead fish, click HERE.
SUMMARY OF CONDITIONS
- Bloom conditions near Redington Shores, Redington Beach, John’s Pass and Treasure Island are EXTREMELY HIGH.
- There was a bloom of red tide that entered into Boca Ciega Bay through John’s Pass over the weekend. It has caused a large fish kill in the bay.
- 14 cleanup watercraft are in the John’s Pass basin and surrounding “fingers," with eight of the watercraft assigned to Treasure Island. They will be going in and out of the “fingers” harvesting the dead fish.
- In addition, one beach rake is making a continuous loop from Sunshine Beach to Sunset Beach from when they can get cleared by the turtle watchers till late afternoon.
- There is a shrimp boat that is harvesting dead fish offshore in an attempt to keep the fish from reaching our beaches.
Pinellas County Environmental Management is providing daily status updates about Pinellas County’s red tide testing locations via Pinellas County’s red tide web page. www.pinellascounty.org/environment/watershed/red-tide.htm
CLEANING UP DEAD FISH
- It will not be possible to send the clean-up crews for small amounts of fish. If it is a small amount of fish and residents can remove it, put it in a trash bag and put it out with the garbage through normal trash pickup. If odor is a concern, double bag it.
- For estimating purposes when callers are not sure, we have been asking them to look at a 10x10 area, 100 sq ft, count the fish, how many? Now can you take that number and ballpark the total.
- If it is significant, say 100’s or 1,000’s, send the report to Pinellas County at the addresses listed below and the county will schedule the contractor.
Citizens can contact the county directly at:
- 727-464-4425 Pinellas County Environmental Management
- Email: email@example.com
- See Clicks Fix - https://en.seeclickfix.com/pinellas_county
Information to provide:
- Location with complete address
- Approximately how many fish
- When emailing or using See Click Fix add a picture or two.